Firelord Zuko, done in the style of the portraits of previous Firelords. The royal portraits are crammed full of symbolism, so I had a good time filling this with important details from Zuko’s life:
- All firelords have a flaming mandala behind their heads, but Zuko's is larger and more Mayan due to his experience with the Sun Warriors.
- Ran and Shaw circling behind him to symbolize his mastery over original firebending.
- He's not wearing the traditional firelord crown as he never expected the role; it's moved down to his belt.
- The flame crest on his mantle has been replaced with a golden lotus, for the White Lotus.
- All firelords wear sashes in their portraits; Zuko's is white to symbolize peace.
- Two swords, held balanced and passive, to portray his martial power without needless aggression -- like the Fire Nation itself.
- Sunburst mandala, partially eclipsed, to evoke the Day of Black Sun when he formally broke step with the corrupted Fire Nation
- Republic City at his feet, as his largest contribution to the world, nestled in a lotus for peace.
- And finally, the Blue Spirit mask, because... well, obviously.
Drawn specially for Anime Evolution, June 28-30 in Vancouver, BC, as fandom’s beloved Dante Basco (RU-FI-OOO!) will be in attendance! Stop by to pick one up and you might be able to get it signed!
TUMBLING FRIENDS: Please reblog from my Tumblr
rather than reuploading to your own. Reblogging without credit is THEFT!